Thursday, September 27, 2007

My Project Scope- a design brief

I had a meeting with Bronwyn on the 26 September to discuss my progress with the designing for flexible delivery course and here is a brief from that meeting.
The course is assessed in four parts. The first part is the webblog that I am currently writting in so that's up and running. The second assessment is a teaching resource which I am happy to say I have just finished a draft of and intend to get comments from staff after the holiday break. The third assessment is keeping a reference list which is my delicious account so thats fine. The last assessment involves writing up a flexible delivery plan which is where I am now.
Monday 1 October.
I emailed a draft copy of my flexible delivery plan to Bronwyn on Friday for review, so this is a summary of what I am proposing.
All subjects in the mechanical engineering diploma have a self directed learning component of 60 hours out of a total 150 hours. Using the hardest subject that the first year students grasp as my target base, I believe their learning would be a more meaningful and enjoyable experience by taking a proporsion of these self directed hours and incorporating them as a technology based learning guide. This will transpire into a possible learning platform where assignments, quizes etc could be performed and in so doing expose the students to the wider engineering emvironment.
There are two components that I want this project to achieve. Using the web as the source of information the first part would be to try and give the students an insite into various mechanical engineering projects that utilise the subject content that they are learning in class, but in the much broader sense. ie. it will try and answer the " what is the relevence of this subject that is being taught" in the classroom. The second component would be to bring part of the assessment material into the new technology and actively engage the students by incorporating work based programmes like word and excel that they would use by way of an assignment.
As I have explained in the project scope, the time to surf the web for the necessary content and compile the material into a cohesive whole is of concern but not impossible if the resources are made available. I know that this would be the starting platform to get our mechanical engineering diploma into a format which combines new technology with traditional teaching methods and create the possibility of being able to deliver part of it to distance learners as a viable option.
I will now wait and see the comments from the EDC team about my project.

No comments: