Wednesday, September 26, 2007

I see the Light.

Starting to look at what I need to complete for this assessment.
Assessment one is my learning blog. Writing down a few comments on the form and I see that I need to report back about various discussions that I have had up till now.
In one of my previous blogs I mentioned that I would try and talk with Peter Brook regarding teaching to students via television conferencing. I did speak with Peter on a casual basis about it and he advised me that he can only televise to about four students max at a time with present technology. It also means that the students have to be able to reach the receiving telecast in a designated location (ie a school that can recieve the broadcast) but he assured me that it will increase in popularity with time and advance of the technology. For me, this technology would be worthwhile once it has been fully developed, so I will not pursue it until then.
I remember Terry giving us an "Elluminate" demonstration and from my notes I see that it was on the 19 April. That really was a worthwhile session and I apologise Terry for not writing about it till now. In that session Terry introduced us to a variety of programmes and web sites that are available to us for making flexible delivery a reality and not just an idea as well as showing us what "Elluminate" was.
We were introduced to such things as "Audacity" which is where we can have audio imput over slides, turn them into moving demos using moviemaker if wanted and then producing them onto a CD. This is because the files are too large to send via the web. If you wanted to send files down the line then "Flash-Animations" were the way to go (how can I ever forget that poor cat getting it's fur shaved off in a certain manner prior to an operation). These are time consumming to prepare for the technician, but an option non the less.
I have got things jotted down called "Video-in Director", "Action Mazes" and "Toolboxes" which incidentaly took my fancy as Terry mentioned that they were made in Australia for the trades and may have some engineering material in there and best of all they are free to use. Since then, I have viewed the toolbox site, but the actual subjects covered are not really of any help to me. Damn!
The programme that interested me the most though, was ""Course Genie" which turns word documents into web pages for sending down the line. Incorporated in them would be pictures (don't forget copyright rules etc.) and I see from my notes that a secure server like "Blackboard" has to be used. The reason why this programme appealled to me most was that my course is primarily made up of notes, calculations etc, and if I were having to send out a course to a distance learner, then this would be the easiest method to get the content delivered. Also, it would be an ideal starting point for flexible delivery in my course for the students that are here - NOW THERE'S A THOUGHT.
I am going to leave this blog here, and come back with a report about my meeting with Bronwyn from yesterday. See ya.

No comments: